2-Day GD&T Fundamentals Public Training
March 18-19, 2020 - Homewood Suites - San Diego, CA
With the GD&T Basics Fundamentals 2-Day Training Seminar
- We promise, once you take our training & understand our GD&T framework, you will drastically improve the way you work with your drawings. We don’t want you to just understand theory – we want you to apply what you learn!
- It is our #1 goal that you retain the information you will learn and make a noticeable impact at your company when you get back from training!
2-Day GD&T Fundamentals Seminar - Course Objectives:
· Understand the simple GD&T framework that simplifies 95% of all GD&T
· Simplify the main requirements and terminology of the ASME y14.5 Standard into simple English.
· Learn all 14 Geometric symbols, how to use them, which ones are most useful, & which ones to avoid.
· Discover how Max Material Condition creates bonus tolerance while maintaining a functional part.
· Understand what datums do & how they are applied on drawings for design, manufacturing & inspection.
· Study real drawings to understand how GD&T is applied to actual parts.
· Learn best practices that represent a realistic approach to using GD&T on real drawings.
· Simplify your understanding of how GD&T is applied and measured - both high and low tech.
· Retain what you learn using our online membership access and our course resources
Who Should Attend:
Our training is designed to be very approachable and geared towards everyone from entry level to those with intermediate experience. To take this training, you should have some experience in a design, production or inspection environment working with engineering drawings. You should also be able to understand how parts are represented and viewed on a 2D or 3D print. No prior GD&T knowledge is required though!
Pricing - Contact us to Register
Topics covered in the GD&T Fundamentals Course:
Section 1: Introduction
• Course Introduction
• Simple Example - What is GD&T?
Section 2: The GD&T Framework
• Terminology & Basic Rules
• The Feature Control Frame
• S.L.O.F. & the 3 Simple Principles of GD&T
Section 3: S&F – Size and Form
• Intro to Features and Material Conditions
• Rule #1 of GD&T (Envelope Principle)
• Straightness (Surface)
• Straightness (Feature of Size)
• Flatness (Surface)
• Flatness (Feature of Size)
Section 4: Datums Control
• Intro to Datums
• Datum Reference Frame
• Primary Datum Controls
• Basics of Datum Selection
Section 5: L – Location (Position)
• Why Use Position Over Coordinate Dimensions
• True Position – Basics
• The Position Calculation
Section 6: 0 - Orientation Tolerances
• Parallelism (Surface)
• Parallelism (Axis)
• Perpendicularity (Surface)
• Perpendicularity (Axis)
• Angularity (Surface and Axis)
Section 7: Material Modifiers
• Maximum Material Condition
• Least Material Condition
• Regardless of Feature’s Size & Rule #2
Section 8: Profile Tolerances
• Profile of a Surface – Basics
• Profile In-Depth (Modifiers)
• Profile of a Line
Section 9: Runout Tolerances
• Runout/Circular Runout
• Total Runout
Section 10 – Symbols to Avoid Using
Course Summary: Real-World Exercises
• SLOF Review for Drawings (Size, Location, Orientation & Form)
• Interpreting Weldment Print
• Axle Shaft Interpretation & Inspection
• Applying GD&T Yourself - Clevis Bracket Exercise
What You Get with the Training
Evening Class Reception
Wednesday, March 18th
Included with your training, we have an evening reception immediately following training on Wednesday, March 18 available to all students. Meet the instructors and creators behind GD&T Basics and talk with other students in a relaxing environment. Share your experience, ask questions, learn about other industries, and get some free food and drinks. We don't want to just be your trainers, we want to learn more about you and how we can help your professional career.
6 Months of Online Access to our Popular GD&T Online Platform - ($299 Value)
To make sure you will have the knowledge to apply the topics you learn in training, we include 6 months of access to our popular GD&T Online Course. Unlike other programs, we ensure that you have full support and references well after the training. We understand that you can't become a GD&T expert in 2 days and will need to apply this when you get back to work. With the continued support of our online courses and our instructor help, you will have access to everything you need to apply GD&T effectively.
"This is a great course in terms of visuals and physical examples. Easy to follow and very simply presented. My confidence in GD&T is greatly improved!"
Robert Flaherty - Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Attended GD&T Basics June 2019 Seminar
Training Venue - San Diego, CA
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Liberty Station
2576 Laning Road San Diego, CA
• Discounted Room Rate Available
• Complimentary Airport Shuttle
• WiFi in Guest Rooms & Meeting Space
• 1.5 miles from the San Diego International Airport
• Outdoor Pool, Patios, and Fireplaces
• 24-Hour Market Place
• Walking Distance to Liberty Station
(Restaurants, Shops, Grocery Stores & Art Galleries)
• Hilton Honor’s Frequent Stay Program
About the Instructor
Tom Geiss is the Founder and Lead Trainer of the GD&T Basics Program. He is ASME Senior-Level Certified in both the 1994 and 2009 version of the GD&T standard. Tom is a former Product Launch/Methods Engineer for BMW and a Design Engineer for ZF Transmissions. He has been working with and applying GD&T as a professional engineer for over a decade in the automotive industry.
Tom currently consults with dozens of companies each year on how they can improve their work and make better decisions with engineering drawings.
Learn more about Tom or connect with him on LinkedIn:
If you would like to register multiple people for our upcoming Public Training Seminar, or need an invoice for your purchasing department, please complete this registration request form and we will send you an invoice to help you register.